but everybody managed to escape.
大火迅速蔓延到整幢大楼,但大家都想法逃了出来。
& 2.be able to
比can有更多形式。
&&No one could
answer the question.
&&没人能回答这个问题。(这里could可用was
able to 代替)
grows up, he will be able to support his family.
&&他长大后就能养家了。
&&Frank is
ill. He hasn't been able to go to school for one week.
&&弗兰克病了,已经一周没去上学了。
&&I'm sorry
for not being able to help you in time.
&&对不起,不能及时帮你的忙。
3.could经常和动词see, hear, smell, taste, feel, remember,
understand等连用。
&&When we went
into the house, we could smell something burning.
&&当我们走进屋子时,我们闻到什么东西烧焦了。(不用was
&&She spoke in
a very low voice, but I could understand what she said.
&&虽然她讲话的声音很低,但我还是明白了她说的话。
&&4.在谈论说话时发生的动作,用can,不用be
&&【误】Look! I'm
able to swim.
&&【正】Look! I can
& 看,我会游泳了!
& 5.在用used
to谈论过去用能力做某事,但现在失去了这个能力时,我们用be able
如:I used to be able to play the violin.
6.在谈论将来有能力做某事。我们用will be able to。
如:After only a few lessons, you will be able to
understand basic Spanish.
7.在其它动词may,might,would,want或hope后,用be
如:He might be able to fix your car.
&&&&&&&You
should be able to taste the difference.
want her to be able to use a computer.
已投稿到:BBC英语学习[6 Minute Grammar]系列-Session 2Catherine
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute Grammar with me Catherine…
And me, Neil. Hello.
In this programme we’re talking about modal verbs of ability.
Yes, we are. We’ll explain what they are …
We’ll give you some useful tips on using them…
There’ll be lots examples …
And of course we’ll finish with a quiz.
So here we go. First of all, what are modals of ability?
Well, there are lots of different modal verbs like must, might and have to. We use them together with main verbs, to add meaning to what we say.
So in this programme we’re talking about the modal verbs can and could. We’re looking at how we can use these modals with main verbs to add meaning related to ability. Here’s Mike with an example.
Humans can only live without water for three to five days.
So that’s can with the verb live to express ability: in this example, the ability to live without water. And in this programme we’re also going to talk about ability with the phrase be able to plus a verb. It’s similar to can, but it’s particularly useful when we’re suggesting that something is a bit surprising like this from Mike.
Humans can only live without water for three to five days.
However, they are able to live without food for up to three weeks.
Okay. In those examples we’re talking about ability in the present. Now for the past.
Yeah, the past. And the past of can is could. We also use be able to in the past but of course it becomes was able to or were able to. Listen.
People in Asia could write before people in Europe.
People in Asia were able to write before people in Europe.
But sometimes you have to use be able to and not could.
And that happens when we’re talking about a single event in the past, not general ability.
Exactly. Another example please, Mike.
After climbing for six hours, they were able to reach the top of the mountain.
You can’t use could in that example because could is for general ability, not a single occasion like climbing one mountain.
But there is another verb that you can use in that last sentence. Have a listen.
After climbing for six hours, they managed to reach the top of the mountain.
Thank you Mike. We often use manage to with a verb for ability if something is very
difficult to do or if something is very successful.
Exactly. Remember that can and could are always followed by the infinitive without to(不定式). And they are the same for all subject pronouns.
Right. But be able to changes for different persons. It’s am/is/are able to for the present and was/were able to for the past.
And we’re looking at modal verbs of ability.
Yes, we are. And we’ve got a few extra tips for you today.
We have. And the first tip is, you know, sense verbs like see, hear and smell? And verbs of thinking like believe, understand and remember? Well, we usually use can and not be able to with those. Examples please, Mike.
I can’t understand this question.
Good. Second tip. When we have two main verbs together, we can’t put can or could between them. For example, with the sentence I’d like to swim. It’s okay to say…
I’d like to be able to swim.
But it’s not okay to say… I’d like to can swim.
Oh no, you can’t say that! It sounds a bit strange.
Yes, horrible.
Third tip: There is also no present perfect form of can. If we need the present perfect for ability, we use be able to. An example, please?
He hasn’t been able to walk since the accident.
Thank you, Mike. And now a tip about manage to in the negative form. We say can’t manage to in the present, but it’s couldn’t manage to or didn’t manage to in the past.
I can’t manage to swim that far!
(the present)Fifty five pies?! I can’t manage to eat all those. (the present)The men couldn’t manage to lift the piano.
(the past)He didn’t manage to get the grades he needed for university.
(the past) Catherine
Okay, thank you, Mike. And now - it’s quiz time. Will you manage to get three correct answers?
Let’s see. Are these sentences correct or incorrect? 1: The villagers were good
hunters, but they couldn’t grow crops.
2: My phone wasn’t working but the receptionist could phone for a taxi. 3: I want to can do this.
1:That’s correct.
2:That’s not correct. The correct sentence is the receptionist was able to phone for a taxi.
3:nd that’s not correct. Between two main verbs, we have to use be able to. So the correct sentence is I want to be able to do this.
Congratulations if you managed to get them all right!
Yes. Well done!Extra take away tips:1.Sense verbs like see, hear and smell? And verbs of thinking like believe, understand and remember? Well, we usually use can and not be able to with those2.When we have two main verbs together, we can’t put can or could between them3.There is also no present perfect form of can4.We say can’t manage to in the present, but it’s couldn’t manage to or didn’t manage to in the past.
VOA英语学习(sunlingvoastudy) 
 文章为作者独立观点,不代表大不六文章网立场
sunlingvoastudy每天学习点地道的英语,包括BBC和VOA提供有趣的教学材料的整理,让我们的英语地道起来!热门文章最新文章sunlingvoastudy每天学习点地道的英语,包括BBC和VOA提供有趣的教学材料的整理,让我们的英语地道起来!&&&&违法和不良信息举报***:183-
举报邮箱:
Copyright(C)2016 大不六文章网
京公网安备78be able to 用法
be able to与can用法区别:(1) be able to 强调通过努力而获得的能力,而can则强调自身已具有的能力.如:She can sing the song in English. 她能用英语唱这首歌.He will be able to sing this song in English in a few minutes, too. 几小时之后,他也能用英语唱这首歌.(2) be able to 强调一种结果,而can只强调一种可能.如:Luckily, he was able to escape from the big fire in the end. 幸运的是,他终于逃出了大火.If he got here a few hours earlier, I could save him. 要是他早几小时来,我还能救他.(3) be able to 可以有各种时态;而can只有一般现在和一般过去两种时态.如:I could help you last night, but you didn’t come. 昨天晚上我能帮你,而你又没来.Can you see it there? 你能看见它在那儿吗?He is / was / will be able to help you. 他能帮你的忙.(4) can可用于表示可能性,推测,允许等情况,而be able to通常不这样用.can的用法和意义:(1) 表示能力,意思为“能,会”.如:I can sing this song in English. 我能用英语唱这首歌.Can you tell me where the museum is? 你能告诉我博物馆在哪吗?(2) 表示许可,意思是“可以”.如:You can use my pen instead 你可以用我的笔.Can I come in? 我可以进来吗?(3) 表示推测,意为“可能,会”,主要用于否定句和疑问句中.如:Can he be there too? 他也会在那儿吗?He can’t have finished his work. 它不可能把工作做完了.【说明】有时也用于肯定句中表示“有时”,或表示理论上的可能性.如:She can be very unpleasant. 她有时很令人讨厌.Even experienced teachers can make mistakes. 即使是有经验的教师也可能出错.(4) 表示惊讶,通常用于疑问句、否定句和惊叹句中.如:Can this be your reason? 这难道就是你的理由?How can you say it like that? 你怎么能那样说话呢?注意:从理论上说,could是can的过去式,但在某些场合中,could可用来代替can,表示现在的情况,只是语气较can委婉,此时,若用could来提问题,回答时,应该用can,而不用 could.如:Could you answer me a question? 请回答我一个问题好吗?Yes, I can. / No, I can’t. 好./ 不行.希望对你有帮助 如有疑问 请在线交谈 祝你考上理想的学校 O(∩_∩)O
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码

参考资料

随机推荐