<橙光武林公敌皇甫诀3>稀有心诀袋能开出什么

Shakespeare | Twelfth Night&3&
上海外国语大学英语教授、博导
Quotations from Shakespeare’s plays ----Twelfth Night. All the Chinese versions are basically taken from Liang Shiqiu’s translations.
1. In nature there’s no
none can be call’d deform’d but the unkind: Virtue is beauty, but the beauteous evil are empty trunks o’erflourish’d by the devil. (From Twelfth Night Act III Scene IV)
人生没有缺憾,除了心地不良;无所谓残废,除了狠毒的心肠:德行既是美,但是貌美而心恶,不过是恶魔所雕饰的空躯壳。
Appreciation & Critical Comments:
a. No blemish is real blemish except the blemish in the mind.
b. Unkind thoughts and deeds are regarded as deformed thoughts and deeds.
c. The agreement of what is inside and what is outside grants us perfections, so virtue is beauty.
d. The inside evil renders trunks empty overflourished with beauteous surface by the devil.
2. My foes tell me plainly I am an ass: so that by my foes, sir, I profit in the knowledge of myself, and by my friends I am abused. (From Twelfth Night Act V Scene I)
我的敌人却直告我是蠢驴:所以在我的敌人手里,先生,我可以增进我的自知之明,而在我的朋友们手里,我只是被戏弄。
Appreciation & Critical Comments:
a. From what your enemies criticize you and condemn you, you gain more self- so your enemy sometimes offers a looking-glass which reflects your imperfections.
b. But from your friends and those near and dear to you, you gain more praises, compliments and celebrations, which might confound you to such an extent that you are blind to your own blemishes and weak points. So you are abused by your friends.
非商业性援引,需注明出处来源于史话英语,史志康教授保留所有权利。
史话英语|跟着史教授品味英语之美
长按,识别二维码,加关注
点击下方“阅读原文”查看【史志康教授解读莎士比亚文章目录】
责任编辑:
声明:本文由入驻搜狐号的作者撰写,除搜狐官方账号外,观点仅代表作者本人,不代表搜狐立场。
今日搜狐热点

参考资料

随机推荐