BL在线bl小游戏有声音PLEASURE!

大众英语大众英语下3
扫描二维码方便学习和分享
http://image.tingclass.net/statics/js/2012
Lesson EWords and Eaccept/?k'sept/ vt.接受 accuse/?'kju:z/ vt.指责,控告 ;advantage /?d'va:ntid?/n.优点 apply/?'plai/ vi.适用 ;bargain/'ba:gin/ vi.讨价还价,议价 buy/bai/vt.& vi.买 ;bought/b?:t/ (过去式,过去分词) ;carrier bag /'k?ri? b?g/ n.购物袋 ;cash/k??/ n.现金,现款 cheque/t?ek/ n.支票(=[美]check) ;close/kl?uz/vt.关,闭 compare/k?m'pe?/ vt.比较 ;compensate /'k?mpenseit/ vt.& vi.补偿 ;considerable /k?n'sid?r?bl/ adj.相当大(或多)的 ;consult/k?n's?lt/ vt.查阅
i consumer/k?n'sju:m?/ n.消费者,用户 ;convenience /k?n'vi:ni?ns/ n.便利,方便 ;convenience food n.方便食品 credit/'kredit/ n.信用 ;credit card n.信用卡 customary /'k?st?m?ri/ adj.习惯的 ;department store n.百货商店 detection/di'tek??n/ n.检测 ;develop/di'vel?p/ vt.发展,使成长,使发达 differ/'dif?/ vi.不同,相异 ;differ from 与...不同 discount/'diskaunt/ n.折扣 ;discount store n.廉价商店 display/dis'plei/ 陈列 ;electrical /i'lektrik?l/ adj.电的,电动的 ;electronic /ilek'tr?nik/ adj.电子的 ;exchange/iks't?eind?/ vt.交换,调整 faulty/'f?:lti/ adj.有缺点的,不完善的 ;goods/gudz/ n.商品,货物 ;guarantee /,g?r?n'ti:/ n.保证,保*** ;high-street /'haistri:t/ n.(城镇的)主要街道 ;household /'haush?uld/ adj.家庭的 import/im'p?:t/vt.进口 ;internationally /,int?:'n???n?li/ adv.国际上,世界上 ;internationally-known adj. 国际知名的,世界闻名的 low/l?u/adj.低的 ;major/'meid??/ adj.较大的,较重要的 ;manufacturer /,m?nju'f?kt??r?/ n.制造商,制造厂 ;overseas/'?uv?'si:z/ adj.外国的 part/pa:t/ n.部分 ;particularly /p?'tikjul?li/ adv.特别,尤其 ;pay/pei/ vt.& vi.支付,付款 paid/peid/ (过去式,过去分词) ;policy/'p?lisi/ n.政策,方针 ;preparation /,prep?'rei??n/ n.准备,配制 ;price/prais/ n.价格,价钱 product/'pr?d?kt/ n.产品 ;prosecution /,pr?si'kju:??n/ n.起诉,告发 ;providing /pr?'vaidi?/ conj.以...为条件,假如 ;queue/kju:/n. (人或车辆等)行列,长队 ;range/reind?/ vi.(在一定范围内) 变化,变动 ;range from...to 在...至..的 范围内变化,变动 ;receipt/ri'si:t/ n.收据,*** ;resident/'rezid?nt/ n.居民 ;right/rait/ n.权利 ;self-service /'self's?:vis/ n.顾客自理,无人售货 (类似超市) ;service/'s?:vis/ n.服务 shopkeeper /'??p,ki:p?/n.店主 ;shoplifting /'??p,lifti?/ n.冒充顾客进商店行窃 ;slightly/'slaitli/ adv.稍微 ;specialize /'spe??laiz/ vi.专门从事 ;specify/'spesifai/ vt.详细说明 sterling/'st?:li?/ adj.英币的,英镑的 ;street/stri:t/ n.街道,马路 ;supermarket /'sju:p?,ma:kit/ 超级市场 ;tax/t?ks/ n.税 theft/?eft/ n.偷窃,盗窃 ;transfer/tr?ns'f?/ vt.转移 traveller/'tr?vl?/ n.旅行者,旅客 ;traveller's cheque n.旅行支票 unless/?n'les,?n'les/ n.如果不,除非 ;useful/ju:sf?l/ a.有用的 value/'v?lju:/n.价值 ;VAT /vi:ei'ti,v?t/ n.Value Added Ta的首字母略词, ;Proper Noun Napoleon 拿破仑 ;TEXT ;Shopping in BMost shops in Britain are closed on Sbut open all day Monday to Saturday. Many towns and, ;villages also have a half day closing during the week from about 13:00, ;but they may stay open later on another evening. ;There are one or tin Britain which may differ from your practice at home. ;Bargaining is no ;customers are expected to pay the marked price for goods. ;The famous British queue applies particularly when shopping. ;You may not always see a queue, ;but those waiting are expected to take their turn. ;In self-service shops and street markets, remember to take yobecause many shops charge you for carrier bags. ;In self-service shops, ;however, always put the goods in the wire baskets provided by the shop first, ;then pay for them and transfer them to your own bag later. ;If you forget and put them straight into your own bag and leave without paying, ;you may be accused of &shoplifting& ;which can lead to a police prosecution for theft. ;Unfortunately, this is a fairly common form of theft in some parts of Bmany shops have electronic detection equipment and a tough policy on prosecution. ;If you are buying goods you may like to consult Which magazine in a public library. ;In this magazine the cost and quality of prmanufacturers are compared. ;In recent years, Bra considerable body of law to protect consumers'rights. ;For example, ;shops must exchange faulty goods providing you can produce a receipt, ;so do keep receipts and guarantees, particularly for major purchases. ;Napoleon Ihave remarked over 150 years ago that the British were a nation of shopkeepers', ;today the variety of different shops is certainly an advantage. ;They range from the internationally-department stores to much cheaper local street markets. ;Most areas have what used to be known as &corner shops& for looften keep longer hours than the high-street shops. ;Their slightly higher prices are usually compensated for by their convenience. ;There are also discount stores specializing, for example, ;in electrical goods, ;where you may find prices much lower than in the normal high-street shops. ;In general, supermarkets andparticularly good for fresh fruit and vegetables and in manywide range of impwhich may remind you of home! ;There are also &convenience& foods which are already cooked, ;need little preparation and are useful for people in a hurry. ;VAT or Value Added Tax is a governmfifteen percent added to many goods and most services. ;Most prices include tax unless otherwise specified, ;but on large purchases it is wise to check. ;As an overseas visitor you might not have to pay VAT on some large purchases. ;You can pay for goods by cash, ;by cheque on a British bank account with a bank guarantee card, ;or by sterling travellers'cheques, usually with no problem. ;If the shop displays a credit card sign, ;it will accept that particular credit card. ;Lesson NWords and Eadvancement /?d'va:nsm?nt/ n.前进;进展 ;angry /'??gri/ adj.生气的 ;biz/biz/=business n.[美俚]商业;生意 chain/t?ein/ n.连锁,连锁店 ;childrearing /'t?aildri?ri?/ n.抚养孩子 ;combine/k?m'bain/ vt.使结合 ;commute/k?'mju:t/ vi.两地往返; 乘公交车辆上下班 ;commuter/k?a'mju:t?/ n.两地往返的人 conduct/k?n'd?kt/ vt.经营;处理 ;disappear/dis?'pi?/ vi.不见;消失 distance/'dist?ns/ n.距离 ;earache/'i?reik/ n.耳痛 ;enthusiasm /in'?ju:zi?z?m/ n.热情 ;estimate/'estimeit/ vt.& vi.& n.估计 flexible/'fleks?bl/ adj.可变通的,灵活的 ;fly/flai/vi.乘飞机 flew/flu:/(过去式) flown/flown/(过去分词) ;further/'f?:??/ adj.更远的;进一步的 graduate/'gr?djuit/ n.大学毕业生 ;hard /ha:d/adj.艰苦的 hate/heit/痛恨,不喜欢 increase/in'kri:s/ vt.& vi.增加 ;independent /,indi'pend?nt/ adj.独立的 ;journalism /'d??:n?liz?m/ n.新闻业 ;marriage/'m?rid?/ n.结婚 memorize/'mem?raiz/ vt.记住 ;mommy/'m?mi/ n.[美]妈咪 ;newscaster /'nju:zk?:st?/ n.新闻广播员 ;obstacle/'?bst?kl/ n.障碍 own/?un/ vt.拥有 ;plus/pl?s/ prep.加上 politics/'p?litiks/ n.政治 ;producer/pr?'dju:s?/ n.生产者; (电影或电视)制作人 ;reach/ri:t??/vt.达到 requirement /ri'kwai?m?nt/ n.要求 ;researcher /ri's?:t??/n.研究人员 respond/ris'p?nd/ vi.回答;反应 ;scarce/ske?s/ adj.缺乏的;罕见地 ;schedule/'?edju:l/ [美]/'sked?ul/ n.日程表,时间表 ;sense/sens/n.感觉 separation /,sep?'rei??n/ n.分离;(夫妻)分居 ;solidLy/'s?lidli/ adv.坚固地;可靠地 support/s?'p?o:t/ vt.支持 ;telephone /'telif?un/ n.*** ;tend/tend/vi.趋向 toddler/'t?dl?/ n.蹒跚行走的孩子 ;tolerance/'t?l?r?ns/ n.忍受 tuck/t?k/ vt.掖好(被子)等 ;vice/vais/副的 wake/weik/叫醒 woke/wouk/(过去式) ;waken/'weik?n/ (过去分词) whatever/w?t'ev?/ pron.无论什么 ;Proper Nouns Bob/'b?b/(男人名) Boston/'b?st?n/ (美国)波士顿(市) ;Davis/'deivis/ (姓) Doris/'d?ris/(女人名) ;Etelson/'i:t?lsn/ (姓) Hayden/'heid?n/(姓) ;Kate/'keit/(女人名) Long(姓) Newark/'nju(:)?k/ [美国]纽瓦克 ;Ohio/?u'hai?u/(美国) 俄亥俄(州) Robert/'r?b?t/ (男人名) ;Susan/'su:zn/(女人名) Yarmouth Port (美国地名) ;TEXT ;The Ways and Means of Lons-Distance MKate Hayden,32,and Bob Long,37,a couple a married couple for four, have never lived together in the same town or house. ;She is a newscaster at WABC-TV in New York City. ;He is an independent TV producer-director in Los Angeles. ;Kate is on call seven days a week, ;so Bob flies in to spend two weeks with her every month. ;The rest of the marriage is conducted by telephone. ;They talk six or seven times a day, and last month their phone bill was $800.& ;I tuck her in at night and wake her up in the morning,& says Bob. ;&There is nothing good about separation, but we refuse to let it be an obstacle.& ;Such determination helps. ;There are at least 700,000 commuter couples, ;according to some estimates. ;The requirements are simple enough-jobs in two different cities, ;each too good to turn down,a full-time sense of humor, ;the ability to memorize airline schedules plus earaches that come from hours on the telephone. ;According to the researchers, ;about half of these married commuters are in the academic world, ;where work schedules are flexible and jobs too scarce to turn down. ;But the numbers are increasing in business, ;politics, show biz, and journalism. ;The education level is high-about 90 percent have done some graduate work. ;Family income tends to average $ 3000 to $ 40000 a year. ;Often the commuting the wife has reached a level at which further advancement means moving, ;and the husband solidly supports the move. ;Doris Etelson,51, the first woman vice-president of Howard Johnson Co., ;the restaurant chain, has been married for 32 years and commuting for five. ;When she was offered the job in Boston, her husband Robert, ;54,who owns a company in Newark, responded with enthusiasm. ;&She supported me for years,& ;he says, &and now she should get whatever success she can get.& ;Combining long-with childrearing is the hardest part of commuting. ;One two-year-old child of a commuter marriage, ;who lives with his father in Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts, ;has been to the airport so often that he calls all airplanes &Mommy&. ;Some toddlers,like the 18-month-old daughter of Susan Davis, ;just hate commuting. &She wathat her father had disappeared, &says Susan.& ;He would kiss her and she would turn her head away.& ;So Susan's husband gave up a high-level job in Ohio and is now back in Chicago. ;Lesson TWords and Eanti-/'?nti/ [前缀]表示 &反,抗,排斥& ;Asian/'ei??n/adj.亚洲的 aspect/'?spekt/ n. (问题,事物等的)方面 ;basically/'beisik?li/ adv.基本上 bi-[前缀]表示二(倍) 两,双,重复 ;bicultural /bai'k?lt??r?l/ adj.两种文化的 ;bilingual /bai'li?gw?l/ adj.两种语言的, (能)使用两种语言的 ;border/'b?:d?/ n.边界,国界 brand/br?nd/ n.商标,牌子 ;Canadian /k?'neid??n/ adj.加拿大的 n.加拿大人 ;complain/k?m'plein/ vi.抱怨 countryman /'k?ntrim?n/n.同胞 ;cross/kr?s/ vt.越过,穿过 ;difference /'dif?r?ns/ n.差异,差别 ;disturb/dis't?:b/ vt.打扰(某人), 扰乱(人心) ;economic /,i:k?'n?mik/ adj.经济(上)的 ;effect/i'fekt/ n.影响,作用 emotion/i'm?u??n/ n.感情,情绪 ;escape/is'keip/ vi.逃跑 ;European /,ju?r?'pi?n/ adv.欧洲的 ;exclusively /iks'klu:sivli/ adv.全部地 ;finger/'fi?g?/ n.手指 ;foreignness /'f?rinis/n. 具有外国特点的性质 或状态 ;franchise/'fr?nt?aiz/ vt.给...以特许 gas/g?s/n.[美口]汽油 ;human/'hju:m?n/ adj.人的,人类的 inhabitant /,in'h?ebit?nt/n.居民 ;interior/in'ti?ri?/ adj.内部的,内地的 intrigue/in'tri:g/ adj.引起..的兴趣 ;large/la:d?/adj.大的 latter/'l?t?/adj. (两者中)后者的 ;line/lain/vt.沿..排列 magazine/,m?g?'zi:n/ n.杂志,期刊 ;majority /m?'d??riti/ n.多数,大多数 ;makeup/'meik?p/ n.组成,构成 ;motel/m?u'tel/ n.(附有停车场设施) 汽车游客旅馆 ;movement/'mu:vm?nt/ n.(政治,社会或思想) 运动 ;mysterious /mis'ti?ri?s/ adj.神秘的,不可思议 ;nationalist /'n???n?list/ adj.民族主义的 ;nature/'neit??/ n.大自然 neither/'nai??/ adv.也不 ;novel/'n?v?l/ n.(长篇)小说 official/?'fi??l/ adj.官方的,法定的 ;operation /,?p?'rei??n/ n.[美]经营;业务 ;outward/'autwad/ adj.向外地 ;palace/'p?lis/ n.官殿,宏伟的建筑物 pardon/'pa:dn/vt.原谅 ;powerful/'pau?f?l/ adj.强大的 presence/'prezns/ n.存在 ;pressure/'pre??/ n.压力 province/'pr?vins/ n.省 ;race/reis/n.种族,民族 removed /ri'mu:vd/ adj.远离 ;resistance /ri'zist?ns/ n.反抗,抵抗 ;separatist /'sep?r?tist/ adj.主张独立地, 主张脱离的 ;soul/s?ul/n.灵魂,心灵 stand/st?nd/n.摊 station/'stei??n/ n.站 ;style/stail/ n.风格,作风 suggest/s?'d?est/ vt.暗示 ;superhighway / ,sju:p?'haiwei/ n.超级公路 (供高速运输用) ;supporter/s?'p?:t?/ n.支持者,拥护者 tension/'ten??n/ n.紧张(指心理状态等) ;twist/twist/ vi.曲折(穿行) unique/ju'ni:k/ adj.独一无二 ;wilderness /'wild?nis/ n.荒野,荒地 ;wood/wud/ n.(通常用复数) 树林,森林 ;Proper Nouns America/?'merik?/ n.美州 ;Asian/'ei??n/ adj.亚洲的 Canadian/k?'neidj?n/ adj.加拿大的 ;European /,ju?r?'pi?n/ adj.欧洲的 ;Quebec/kwi'bek/ n.魁北克 ;TEXT ;&We re not the same.& ;Outward displays of emotion are not part of the Canadian style. ;We are basically a northern people. ;We do not live in the street as southern races do. ;We are an interior people in more ways than one. ;The Americans are far more outgoing than we are.One reason for this, ;I think,is the very real presence of nature in our lives. ;Although it is true that we are city folk, ;most of us live within a few hours drive of the wilderness. ;We escape to the woods whenever we can. ;No Canadian city is far removed frand silent places which can have such an effect on the human soul. ;There is another aspect of my country that makes it u-nique in the Americas, ;and that is our bilingual and bicultural makeup. ;(Canada has two official languages, English and French, ;and in its largest of the inhabitants speak the latter almost exclusively.) ;Visitors are intrigued by the &foreignness& of Quebec City, ;with its twisting streets and its French-style cooking. ;But there is also a disturbing regional tension. ;Quebec has become a nation within a nation, ;and the separatist movement is powerful there. ;French Canada's resistance to ECanada's cultural and economic pressure canto English Canada's resistance to the same kind of pressure from the United States. ;This helps to explain why many English-speaking Cwho call themselvstrong supporters of special rights for the province of Quebec. ;This is not to suggest that Canadians are anti-American. ;If anything, the opposite is true. We watch American television programs. ;We read American magazines and the American best-selling novels. ;We tend to prefer American-made cars over the European and Asian products. ;We welcome hundreds of thousands of Ato our country every year and don'tthey tell us that we're exactly the same as they are. ;Of course,we're not the same. ;But the visitor may be paso when he or she first crosses the border. ;The buildings in our cities are designed in the international styles. ;The brand names in the supermarkets are all familiar. ;The chicken palaces, hot dog stands, gas stations, ;and motels that line our superhighways are American fran-chised operations. ;It is only after several daybegins to sense a difference. ;He cannot put his finger on that difference, but then, ;neither can many of my country?men. ;The only thing we are really sure of is that we are not Americans. ;Lesson Twenty-Words and Eanxiously /'??k??sli/ adv.忧虑地, 担心地,焦急地 ;billy/'bili/ n.(野外烹饪或 烧水用的)铁罐 ;blood/bl?d/n.血 breathe/bri:?/ vi.呼吸 ;chest/t?est/ n.胸腔,胸膛 ;comfortable /'k?mf?t?bl/ adj.舒服的,舒适的 ;companion /k?m'p?nj?n/n.同伴 condition /k?n'di??n/ n.条件 ;defend /di'fend/ vt.保卫 drag/dr?g/vt.拖,拉 ;gate/geit/n.大门 gently/'d?entli/ adv.轻轻地 hind /haid/adj.后面 ;hind leg 后退 hurt/h?:t/ vt. & vi.(使受)伤痛 ;hut/h?t/n.小屋,棚屋 leg /leg/n.腿 lift/lift/vt.提起,举起 mad /m?d/adj.发疯的 ;pain/pein/ n.(肉体上的)痛,疼痛 ;pause/p?:z/vi.暂停,停顿 rib/rib/n.肋骨 shepherd/'?ep?d/ n.牧羊人,羊倌 ;smile/smail/vi.& n. 微笑 ;swag/sw?g/n. [澳](步行者或矿工等) 行李包,包袱 ;though/??u/ conj.虽然,尽管 till/til/prep.&conj. 直到...为止 ;towards/t?'w?:dz/ 向,朝 undress/?n'dres/ vi.脱衣服 ;Proper Nouns Lawson/'l?:sn/(姓) Macquarie/m?'kw?ri/ (姓) ;Tally /'t?li/(在本课作狗名) ;TEXT A Man and His Dog after Henry LMacquarie the shepherd had had an accident. At least, that was his story. ;In fact, he had had a fight in a bar. He had several broken ribs, ;and his head was covered with blood. His dog, Tally, ;had tried to defend him and one of its hind legs had been broken. ;After the fight, ;Macquarie had picked up his swag and had walked to the nearest hospital. ;The dog had followed him all the way, on three legs. ;The doctor examined him.He was surman had been able to walk so far. &You can have a bed here till you're better,& ;he said. &But we can't have that dog in the hospital. ;Dogs aren't allowed here.& ;&You can put him in that hut outside,& said Macquarie. ;&No.He must go somewhere else. Dogs aren't allowed inside the gates. ;This hospital is for people,not for animals.& ;Macquarie rose slowly to his feet, though the pain in his ribs was terrible. ;He dragged himselfthe corner where his dog was guarding his swag. ;&What are you going to do?&the doctor asked. ;&If my dog can't stay, I can't.& ;He lifted his swag, but the pain was so great that he dropped it again. ;&You must be mad,& the doctor said.& You can't leave here in that condition. ;Let the nurse help you to undress. ;Then get into bed, and I'II deal with your broken ribs.& ;&No!& said Macquarie. &No.My dog needs more help than I do. ;I've only hurt my chest, but he has a broken leg.& ;He paused. Even breathing gave him a lot of pain. ;&That old dog has followed me for twelve hungry years. ;He's my only friend in the world.& He paused again. ;Then he added with a sad smile'-&That dog was born in the bush. ;His mother died a few weeks later. ;I carried him in a billy till he was old enough to walk far. ;He has been a true companion. Several times he has saved my life.& ;The dog raised itself on its three good legs and looked anxiously at the old man's face. ;He gently touched its head. ;Then he picked up the swag and took two steps towards the door. ;But he never reached it.The nurse and the doctor caught him as he fell. ;When he woke, an hour later,he was in bed. His chest was feeling more comfortable. ;&Where's my dog?& he asked at once. &Oh, the dog' s all right,& ;said the nurse. &Don't worry. ;The doctor's fixing his leg in the hut outside. ;He couldn't send away your only friend.& ;Lesson Twenty-TWords and Eacceptable /?k'sept?bl/ adj可接受的 ;acceptance /?k'sept?ns/ n.接受 ;agreement /?'grirm?nt/ n.同意 ;argue/'a:gju:/ vi.争论 aside/?'said/ adv.在旁边;到一边 ;base/beis/ n.基础 blare/ble?/ vi.大声放音 ;bother/'b???/vt.烦扰 comment/'k?ment/ n.评论 ;companionship /k?m'p?nj?n?ip/ n.同伴关系 ;confusing /k?n'fju:zi?/ adj.令人糊涂的 ;consider/k?n'sid?/ vt.考虑,认为 ;conversational /,k?nv?'sei??nl/ adj.会话的 court/k?:t/n.法庭 ;diplomat/'dipl?m?t/ n.外交官 direction/di'rek??n/ n.方向 ;disagree/,dis?'gri:/ vi.不同意 draw/dr?:/ vt.拖,拉 ;extent/iks'tent/ n.程度 fill/fil/vt.填补 ;formal/'f?:m?l/ adj.正式的;拘谨的 ;formality /f?:'m?liti/ n.正式;拘谨 ;heritage/'heritid?/ n.传统;遗产 housewife/'hauswaif/ n.家庭妇女 ;immediate/i'mi:dj?t/ adj.直接的;立即的 ;impolite/,imp?'lait/ adj.不礼貌的 indicate/'indikeit/ vt.表明 ;inherit/in'herit/ vt.继承 judge /d??d?/ n.法官 ;merely/'mi?li/ ady.仅仅 military/'milit?ri/ adj.军事的 ;mininium/'minim?m/ adj.最小的 Ms./miz/ n.女士 ;nationality /,nae??'n?liti/ n.民族 ;noticeably /'n?utis?bli/ adv.明显地 ;occupational /,?kju'pei??nl/ adj.职业的 ;offend/?'fend/ vt.冒犯;触怒 officer/'?fis?/ n.官员,军官 ;personal/'p?:s?nl/ adj.个人的;私人的 position/p?'zi??n/ n.地位 ;post/p?ust/ n.职位 priest/pri:st/n.牧师 ;questioner /'kwest??n?/询问者 quietness/'kwai?tnis/ n.安静 ;rank/r??k/ n.等价;地位 ;recognition /,rek?g'ni??n/ n.承认;公认 ;relationship /ri'lei??n?ip/ n.关系 ;request/ri'kwest/ n.& vt.请求 respect/ris'pekt/ n.& vt.尊敬 ;result/ri'z?lt/n.结果 search/s?:t?/ n.& v.搜寻 ;senate/'senit/ n.(美国的)参议院; 立法机构 ;shock/??k/ n.冲击;震惊 silence/'sail?ns/ n.沉默 ;simply/'simpli/ adv.简单地 somewhat/'s?mw?t/ adv.有点;稍微 ;sound/saund/ n.声音 standard /'st?nd?d/n.标准 ;stiff/stif/ adj.拘谨;生硬 topic/'t?pik/ n.题目 ;treat/tri:t/vt.对待 variation /,ve?ri'ei??n/ n.变化 ;whole/h?ul/ adj.完整;n.全部 Proper NAndrew/'?ndru:/ (男人名) Brown/braun/(人名) ;Hartley/'ha:tli/(人名) RockefeUer /'r?kifel?/ (人名) ;Sally/'s?li/(女人名) ;TWhen You Are with ADoing Your Own Thing Because our people have come from so many nationalities, ;there is a far wider range of what is &acceptable& ;than in some countries where the inhabitants have grown up with a common heritage. ;As a result,nuncomfortable in following his or her own customs. ;Although Americans are noticeably informal, ;if you prefer somewhat greater formality, feel free to act in your own way. ;This will be acceptable to those around you. ;As the young say, ;each person can &do his own thing& and be respected here to a very large extent. ;Personal Questions Conversational quyou both too personal and too many, especially when you first arrive. ;&Where do you work?& &Are you married?& &How many children do you have?& ;&Have you taken your vacation yet?& ;are not personal questions by American standards. ;They are a search for common ground relationship or base a conversation. ;Understand that such questions are meant to be friendly. ;It shows the questioner is interested in you. ;If you are asked questions that seem to you to be too personal, ;you need not answer them. ;You can simply smilthat you &do not know& or &In my country that would be a funny question,& ;or turn the questions gently aside by s&Isn't it interesting to see how different nationalities begin a conversation?& ;or something similar. If you do that, follow it quickly with another topic, ;or make some comment of your own on variations in customs, ;or lead the conversation off in some other direction. ;The American will not be offended, but he or she will get the point. ;Meeting People Tnames is a &culture shock& to many people. ;Americans have a minimum feeling for &rank,& especially socially. ;Most do not themselves enjoy being treated with special respect ;it makes them uncomfortable. ;Many Americans find even the terms &Mr.&,&Mrs.&,or&Ms.& stiff and formal. ;You hear people well beyond middle age say-young people-&Just call me Sally (or Henry or Don).& ;Being on first-name terms is taken as a sign of acceptance and friendliness. ;However,this need not bother you. ;If you arefollowing the boss's immediate request to &Call me Andrew,& ;it is quite all right. Just smile and say &After a while perhaps, ;but thank you anyway.& What we do use, however, ;are occupational titles. These are considered to be different, ;because they show a recognition that has been earned, ;not merely inherited. Ocfrequently carry titles include diplomats, ;members of the Senate (or certain other top government posts), ;judges of the courts, military officers above a certain rank, ;medical doctors, professors and priests. Examples would be Ambassador Jones, ;Senator Smith, Governor Rockefeller, Judge Hartley, General Clark, ;Doctor Brown (medical), Doctor Green(Ph. D.), Father White. ;Silence Many Americans find silence uncomfortable. ;They will say anything to fill any quietness if it extends for more than a moment. ;Students often study with
;housewives leavethe &companionship& of sound even though they may be working in some other room. ;If you are silent for long periods, ;they will do their best to &draw you out& ;or will ask if you feel all right or if there is anything they can do to help you. ;One aspect of silence can be confusing, ;if Americans disagree with what you are saying, ;many of them will remain quiet. This may no ;often it only means that they consider it impolite to argue further. ;Lesson Twenty-Words and Eapartment /?'pa:tm?nt/[美] 一套公寓房间 ;asleep/?'sli:p/ adj.睡着,睡熟 awake/?'weik/醒 ;awoke/?'w?uk/(过去式) awoke或awaked (过去分词) ;basement/'beism?nt/ n.地下室,底层 bench/bent?/ n.长凳 ;boat/b?ut/ n.小船,艇 can/k?n/n. [美](包藏食物的)罐头 ;canning factory 罐头食品制造厂 crane/krein/ n.鹤 ;creep/kri:p/ vi.爬行 crept(过去式, 过去分词) ;cry/krai/vi.& vt. duck/d?k/n.鸭 fisherman/'fi??m?n/ n.捕鱼人 ;fly/flai/vi.飞 flew/flu:/(过去式) flown/fl?un/(过去分词) ;free/fri:/vt.使自由 hallway/'h?:lwei/ n.[美]门厅,过道 ;jump /d??mp/vt.跳过 knock/n?k/ vt.& n.敲,击,打 ;koh/k?u/n.鸟叫声 lake/leik/n.湖 nap/n?p/n.打盹,瞌睡 ;nowhere/'n?uwe?/ n.无处 pack/p?k/vt.包装 ;plate/pleit/n.盘子 repair/ri'pe?/vt.修理 roll/r?ul/vt.使滚动 ;rope/r?up/n.绳,索 sail/seil/vt.开(船) shine/?ain/vi. 发光,发亮 ;shone/??n;??un/ (过去式,过去分词) sir/强s?:;弱s?/ n.先生,阁下 ;softly/'s?ftli/ adv.柔和地,轻轻地 stone/st?un/ n.石头,石 ;struggle/'str?gl/ vi.挣扎 surface/'s?:fis/ n.面,表面 ;tiny/'taini/ adj.极小的 toy/t?i/n.玩具 ;tuna/'t(j)u:n?/ n.金***鱼 Proper NKaren/'ke?r?n/ Myoto/'mj?ut?u/ ;TThe Crane Girl (1) ;In a city by the sea, there lived an old man and his wife. ;They were very poor because they were too old to work. ;All his life, the old man had been a tuna fisherman. ;He sold his fish to the city canning factory. ;The old woman had worked in a Japanese restaurant. ;They had lived well. But now that they were too old to work, they had no money. ;The couple lived in a tiny apartment in the basement of a big apartment house. ;The old man repaired things that broke down in the other apartments. ;He had soso that he and the old woman could use the money. ;The old woman walked the dogs of the other people in the apartment building. ;They had little money, but they were happy. ;One morning the old man got all of his work done early, ;and he decided to spent the rest of the day at the park. ;He went into his apartment and packed himself a bit of lunch. ;He was looking forward to spending the day in the sunshine. ;When he arrived at the park, he was tired from the walk. ;He picked out a bench in the sun and sat down to eat his lunch. ;From his bench he could see the park lake. ;He liked to watch the ducks swim. ;There were children at the water's edge sailing their toy boats. ;Once in a while a fish would jump on the lake surface. ;That reminded him of the days when he was a fisherman. ;As he sat eating his sandwich,he heard the cry of a bird, Koh, ;Koh, near the water's edge. ;The old man walked twater's edge and saw a struggling white crane. ;It must have been one of the animals that belonged to the park. ;Its foot was caught between two stones, and it could not fly. ;Feeling sorry for the great bird, the old man crept close, ;and, speaking softly to calm the crane, he rolled the stones a-part and freed it. ;With a cry of Koh, ;Koh, the crane rose into the air and flew to the other side of the lake. ;The old man returned to his bench. ;He watched the children with their boats until he nodded off to sleep. ;After a short nap, he awoke and started home. ;It would be time to help his wife prepare dinner. ;While they were working in the kitchen, ;he told her about freeing the crane. &That was nice,& ;she said. &Doesn't it make you feel good to know that you helped the bird?& ;As soon as she spoke, there was a knock on the door. ;The old man answered the door and found a small, ;Japanese girl standing there. ;Her little face shone with the light from the hallway. ;She was quite beautiful. ;&Please excuse me for knocking at your door, sir. ;I was in the park with my mother and father. ;I jumped rope with some other children. ;When I went back to find my parents, they were gone. ;I have nowhere to go. I saw your light, so I came in here. ;My name is Karen Myoto.&Poor girl,& cried the old woman. ;&Come in, dear, and have dinner with us.& A third plate was put on the table, ;and the old couple shared their meal with the girl. ;After dinner the old won the sofa while the old man cleaned up in the kitchen. ;The girl fell asleep the moment she got into bed. ;Lesson twenty-Words and Eamaze/?'meiz/ vt.使惊奇,惊噩 arm/a:m/n.臂 ;in one's arms bolt/b?ult/ n.(棉布等的)匹 ;cake/keik/ n.饼,糕 careful/'ke?f?l/ adj.仔细的,小心的 ;cloth/kl?:?/ n.布(棉,毛,丝,麻, 合成纤维等)织物 ;crack/kr?k/ n.裂缝,缝隙 ;dollar/'d?l?/元 (美国,加拿大等国的 货币单位,符号为$) ;fabric/'f?brik/ n.织物,布 feast/'fi:st/n.盛宴 ;feather/'fe??/ n.羽毛 furnace/'f?:nis/ n.炉子 ;giant/'d?ai?nt/ adj.巨大的 gift/gift/ n.礼物 ;hard/ha:d/ adj.艰难的 kindness/'kaindnis/ n.仁慈,照顾 ;laughter/'la:ft?/ n.笑声,笑 loom/lu:m/n.织机 ;merchant/'m?:t??nt/ n.商人 ;neighborhood /'neib?hud/ n.[美]附近,四邻 [英]neighbor/'neib?/ n.[美]neighbour [英]邻居,邻人 ;owner/'?un?/ n.所有人,物主 payment/'peim?nt/ n.报偿,支付 ;peek/pi:k/ vi.从缝隙看,偷看 pleasure/'ple??/ n.愉快,乐趣 ;pull/pul/vt.拉,拔 repay/ri:'pei/ vt.& vi.偿还,报答 ;repaid/ri:'peid/ (过去式,过去分词) reward/ri'w?:d/ n.报酬,奖赏 ;rice/rais/n.稻,米,饭 rush/r??/冲,奔,赶紧 shuttle/'??tl/ n.(织机的)梭 ;silk/silk/n.丝织品 tidy(up)/'taidi/ vt.& vi.收拾,整理 ;tiptoe/'tipt?u/ vi.踮着脚走 ;unfinished /'?n'fini?t/ adj.未完成的 ;voice/v?is/ n.说话声,声音 weak/wi:k/ adj.弱的 ;weave/wi:v/ vt.& vi.织(布) wove/w?uv/(过去式) ;woven/'w?uv?n/ (过去式) ;TThe Crane Girl (2) ;The next morning, ;the old man and woman were surprised to find tea already made. ;The girl was making breakfast. ;The apartment had already been cleaned and tidied up. ;&Good morning,& Karen greeted them. &I hope you slept well. ;Breakfast is ready.& The old man laughed.& Imagine. ;A daughter at our age. &This is a reward for helping the bird yesterday,& ;replied the old woman. Every day Karen would go with the old woman to walk the dogs, ;in hopes that she would see her parents. ;But she returned every night with less and less hope. ;Children in the neighborhood soon met Karen and grew to love her. ;The home of the old couple was filled with the sound of laughter and children's voices. ;Several weeks had passed, ;and it would soon be time to celebrate the Japanese New Year. ;The old man said to his wife, &Karen has been such a pleasure to us. ;I would like to give her a gift.& &So would I,& said the old woman. ;Karen heard them talking, and she felt sad because they were so poor. ;She came to them and said, &I know that life is hard for you. ;If you will let me repay your kindness to me, I will weave cloth for you to sell. ;I ask only one thing-that no one watches me while I weave.& ;The old couple thought that this was strange, but they agreed. ;Karen went into the furnace room, ;and soon they heard the sound of the loom as the shuttle moved back and forth. ;For three days, Karen wove without stopping. ;She finally stepped into the apartment holding a beautiful bolt of cloth. ;The old man and woman had never seen anything like it. ;They told Karen how beautiful it was. &Father,&said the girl, ;&take this to the fabric shops and show it to the owners. ;Do not put a price on it,but let the merchants price it. ;This is a small payment for the home you have given me.& ;The old man took the cloth and rushed to the street where all the shops were. ;The first shop owner looked at the cloth. &Where did you get this?&he asked. ;&My cousin in Japan sent it to me,& answered the man. ;&I will pay you fifty dollars for it.& The old man went into another shop. ;&This is very fine silk,&said the owner.& I will pay you three hundred dollars.& ;The old man sold him the cloth. On the way home, ;the old man stopped to buy rice cakes and a gift for Karen. ;The three of them prepared a feast for the New Year, ;and some of their friends came for a party. ;Even though they were careful, the money was soon spent. ;One day, Karen said, ;&I must weave more cloth. You can sell it again to the merchants. ;But remember what you promised. No one must see me while I work.& ;Two days went by, ;and all the time the sound of the loom filled the apartment building. ;The people who lived in the building came downstairs. ;&What is the noise?& they asked. &That is Karen weaving,& ;the old woman answered. &Weaving? May we see?& asked the neighbors. ;&Oh, no,& ;replied the old man. &We have promised her that no one will watch her.& ;All this time the old woman had wondered how Karen wove such beautiful cloth. ;She could stand it no longer. Quietly,she tiptoed to the furnace room. ;She peeked through a crack in the door. ;The old man missed her and ran down the hall to the furnace room. ;&Stop! Please stop!& he called to his wife. It was too late. ;She had already seen inside the room. What she saw amazed her. ;There,at the loom, was a giant white crane. ;The crane pulled feathers from its body and wove them into cloth. ;The old woman stepped back,and the door opened. Karen stepped out, ;holding in her arms an unfinished bolt of cloth. ;&Dear people,& she said in a weak voice, ;&I am the crane you saved by the lake in the park. ;I wanted to help you by weaving cloth for you to sell.& ;She began to cry. &But, now that you know, I will have to leave.& ;She walked from the building toward the park. ;The old couple followed her. When she reached the park she stopped. ;Going to the old man and woman, she kissed them. ;Then she changed into a white crane and flew into the air. ;The bird looked down and cried,&Koh!& as if she were saying good-bye. ;Then the bird rose and the crane girl was gone. ;
内容来自 听力课堂网:用手机学英语,请加听力课堂微信公众号:tingclass123
[报错与提意见]
订阅每日学英语:

参考资料

随机推荐